Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sharing who we are

A big part of my identity comes from my mother.  She immigrated to the United States when she was 20 years old.  She left Denmark and her family to marry my father.

During my childhood, she kept us connected to her family by teaching us about Denmark.  She taught us songs, told us stories, and cooked danish food.  

Today, I shared one of my families favorite danish dishes, Aebleskivers.  They are a pancake made in a special pan that makes the pancake sphere, or aeble (apple) shaped.  

The children enjoyed learning about this part of my childhood as much as I enjoyed sharing it.  (Or maybe it was the powdered sugar that made the experience finger licking good.)

Over the next few weeks, if your child would like to share a special custom, ritual, or tradition with the class, please let me know.




No comments: