Sunday, March 24, 2013

Poetry

Friday morning, we were treated with a visit from Word Works.  Tony Zick, Carlina Duan, and Ben Alfaro came to lead a Poetry Workshop with our 1st and 2nd graders.  First, they each took turns reading us poems. Some of the poems they wrote and others were written by children.  The last poem was called "Underneath" by  Jeff Kass.  

Then it was the children's turn.  They were encouraged to try to write their own poem inspired Jeff Kaas's poem.

Here are samples of the children's poems:


Underneath my heart is
A soft
mew of a cat.
Underneath
The mew
of the cat
Is a bird
Flying through
The air.

Underneath
The Bird
Is drawing
The sky
A rainbow
Over
The clouds. 

Underneath
Drawing
Is a swan,
Floating in
The water.
 
By Kaden


Elie
Underneath
My heart is
A book.

Underneath a book,
Is a snake.
Underneath a snake,
Is legos.

By Elie
   

Underneath
My heart
Is a bird
the flapping
wings go
Swish, flap
It gives love
In me.

By Lilith


Underneath
My heart
Is a owl
Flying, swish
Swish.

Underneath
my heart
there is a cat
walking on
leaves, crunch
crunch.

Underneath
My heart
There is
A wolf.
Prowling the
Mountains.

Underneath
My heart
There is a wall.
Waiting for me
To come and paint it.

By Juna







No comments: