Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dr Seuss and Shakespeare


What do these two men have in common, besides beards?
They both liked to use iambic meter in their writing.

How serendipitous that Dr Seuss had a birthday on March 2, just as we started a month of Poetry study.  In his honor,  we read  Green Eggs and Ham.  The book lead us to learn the word "iambic".  We beat the "da dum" rhythm on the tables.  Today, we marched in iambic meter around the room as we recited: 

"I do not like green eggs and ham. 
I do not like them Sam I am.  
I will not eat them with a mouse.  
I will not eat them in a house.  
I will not eat them here or there.  
I will not eat the, anywhere."

Next week we will march to a different drummer,  William Shakespeare.  
We will march and recite the witches song:  "Double, double toil and trouble..."


No comments: