Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Homophones


by/bye/buy
wail/whale
wine/whine

For more than a week, we have brainstorming
words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and have a different meaning. I started this lesson by giving the children an example of a homophones. Next, I gave the class a word and they had to think of the homophone.                                                         
Many children thought of examples themselves.

One confusing thing was words that have different meanings but are spelled the same.

flower/flour
Today, the children illustrated the words,  We were all so engaged in the activity that I lost track of time.  When I told the children we had to stop because it was lunch time, everyone groaned.  I promised we would continue after lunch and we did. I have included pictures a few examples.  All the homophones are posted on a wall in our classroom.  The children can uses these when they are writing to make sure they are using the correct word. It is a great way to learn how to spell words that are often confused.  We obviously did not think of all the homophones; you may want to expand the list with your child at home. 

No comments: