Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Author Study

With the "Our Backyard" theme in mind, I thought it would be interesting to choose an Ann Arbor author to study in November.  For author studies, I also try and find an author who has written both novels and picture books.  This lead me to an author named Joan Blos. 


In my research, I found out the Ms. Blos was a Children's Literature professor at the U of M.  In 1980 she won the Newbery Award for her novel A Gathering of Days.  


Her stories are often historic novels or fiction based on historic figures.  We will be reading, The Heroine of the Titanic, about Molly Brown and Nellie Bly's Monkey .  Nellie is a reporter, who in 1889,  who went around the world in 72 days.  This story is told by the monkey she picked up in Singapore.


In my pursuit of Joan Blos's books, I discovered that many of her books are out of print.  This problem will hopefully be serendipitous.  I am working to set up a visit U of M's  "Special Collections" Library.   Several of Blos books are in the "Special Collection".  They can be viewed by not taken out of the library.


Keep tuned into the blog for more information about this trip and other activities that we will be doing. along with more on the Joan Blos books. 



No comments: